As a leading global developer of advanced combustion system technology for complex gasoline engines, FEV offers new technologies that address modern challenges.
- CO2 emission reduction
- Future emission and fuel economy standards
- High engine performance
- NVH optimization and excellent drivability
FEV carefully assesses its technology programs with cost design, optimizing the trade-off between CO2 advantages and powertrain costs, and covering the entire process from the concept phase to Start of Production (SOP). The entire FEV design process relies on quality tools for achieving Six Sigma designs.
CO2 emissions from passenger car engines is one of today’s most urgent issues. To address this, FEV is working on the continuous optimization of existing gasoline engines as well as on a vast array of future gasoline engines and powertrains.
Development Process [²DP]
Advanced gasoline engine technologies are achieved through the continuous support of CAE and advanced simulation methodology. FEV’s innovative ²DP virtual development process integrates all of the CAE disciplines with thermodynamics, mechanics and acoustics into an integrated and cost-optimized development process. The ²DP process contributes to the delivery of innovative FEV solutions.
- Multi-Body Simulation (MBS)
- FEV Virtual Engine software
- Charge Motion Design (CMD)
- Combustion Sound Level (CSL)
- Virtual Vehicle Interior Noise Simulation (V-VINS)
- Drivetrain Optimization Tool (DOT) for conventional, hybrid and other vehicles.
Our internal R&D activities have generated a variety of unique solutions including downsizing technologies with 2-stage boosting systems, variable valvetrain systems and advanced technologies such as Variable Compression Ratio (VCR). Since turbocharging has become a key element of advanced powertrains, FEV has developed its own unique turbocharger test bench, contributing significantly to enlarged T/C maps to increase the performance and drivability of downsized engines.
FEV leads the industry in the establishment of a unique benchmarking process for newly developed powertrains. The benchmarking process has created the world’s largest database for passenger car gasoline engines.
FEV can also resort to its catalyst aging burner test benches. Vehicle calibration is supported by FEV’s TOPexpert software.
We provide closed-loop gasoline engine development services based on:
- Unique engine benchmarking databases
- Pre-developed advanced technology programs, such as the 2-stage T/C, VVT, VCR, hybrids and range extended vehicles
- FEV‘s integrated CAD-CAE tool chain 2DP for optimizing concept and design stages
- Unique test facilities with T/C test benches and cycle revolving catalyst aging devices
- Production vehicle calibration with TOPEXPERT
- NVH expertise
Mechanical development of gasoline engines
From concept to series production - everything in one hand
Due to the constant quest to lower fuel consumption and resulting reduced exhaust emissions constantly the mechanical development gets more complex. In particular, the trend towards charging in combination with downsizing leads to a continuously increasing specific component load, which also frequently can occur in real driving due to the substitution of high-volume engines with small turbocharged engines. Therefore, an increasingly important position in the development process takes safeguarding the maturity level of an aggregate. To serve the entire development process from the first prototype to the production-ready aggregate FEV has defined key components as standard which can be used in all development projects
- Introduction of test results / findings from our own research regarding new technologies in the concept phase of a new engine project
- Information gained from the worldwide largest friction database with own measurements from more than 25 years of friction investigation
- stringent use of validation plans for testing on component level as well as full engine level in order to realize of a non-disturbed approval process
- standard cycles to carry out functional-, durability- , as well as vehicle tests
- implementation of climate wind tunnel tests and hot and cold ambient tests on real road
- customized measurement techniques for the detection of dynamic and thermal effects on moving components
- standardized objective evaluation of components at the end of testing
Using these basic tools, a transparency and comparability of test results can be obtained as also a standardized tracking of the maturity level as well as the design quality of each single component
Another important component in particular due to the expansion of global markets is the world-wide testing by usage of FEV-own test benches and facilities in most of the relevant markets. Hereby, also an influence of market-specific conditions such as localized components or market-specific filling and operating media can be tested directly on-site at the test bench, or at the appropriate time in the vehicle.
The work scope of our activities covers the following activities:
- component pulse and shaker tests
- motored rig testing for complete engines as well as components / subsystems
- fired engine functional testing for all relevant subsystems as lubrication, cooling / thermal management, breather system, valve train, timing drive, accessory drive, crank train, piston-liner system
- durability testing “all around the world” including test planning, logistics, status reporting and engine rating/documentation
- Vehicle testing , summer /winter trips , climate chamber testing
- Trouble shooting
- Special measurement techniques
- Technology Demonstrator build up
- Potential analysis
- FMEA support
- Friction Benchmark & estimation
Validation till SOP
- World wide durability testing
- Localization programs
- New market validation
- Validation planning
- Vehicle testing
- Component durability
- Motored rig testing
- Fired functional testing
- New technology
- Friction measurement
The testing activities capture the entire circumference of engine components from the vehicle-specific engine integration components to complete basic engine development volume on component level as well as on full engine testing level.
We are looking forward to develop also your next engine generation